Sunday 7 December 2008

Part time borough soldiers honoured for service

TWO part time soldiers from Thurrock have been honoured for their military service.

Local Reserve Forces Volunteers and Grays residents Captain Paul Herlihy and Corporal Phil Pobgee of 124 Petroleum Squadron Royal Logistics Corp have been presented with service medals.

Paul, 41, has been awarded the Operational Services Medal in recognition of an eight month tour of duty in Afghanistan’s Helmand province. He served with the 2nd Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards).

“I am proud to have received the medal as this has been a culmination of all my training with the Territorial Army (TA) since joining in 1985 and has provided me with the opportunity to put into practice my skills,” said Paul who runs a building construction company in civilian life.

“I feel that the operational experience in Afghanistan and working alongside regular counterparts has given me a wider experience and outlook on my role of captain going forward.” Phil, 43, who has been a member of the TA for 12 years is a combat medical technician has been awarded the Volunteer Reserves Service Medal.

“I am proud to have as served as a Territorial Army soldier for the past 12 years. I have taken part in a wide variety of training, exercises and fund raising activities in both the UK and abroad. "I especially enjoy the community support activities which my Squadron get involved in, it makes me feel that I am giving something back to the community. “I am very pleased to receive this medal in recognition of my service,” said Phil who is a builder.

Speaking at the medal parade Air Commodore Batt said: “Presenting medals to members of 124 Petroleum Squadron has been a very special occasion. The citations highlight what a great credit the Squadron is not only to 151 Regiment but to One Army as a whole.”

151 London Transport Regiment, to which the Squadron belongs, is London’s only transport regiment and can trace its history back to the foundation of The Royal Wagon Train, raised in 1799 for active service in Flanders, and recruited from cavalrymen or suitable civilians.

Soldiers from the Regiment have served in the Crimea, Boer war, at the Somme and Passchendale in WWI, El Alamein in WWII, the Gulf war, Iraq and Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment