Monday 27 October 2008

Wayne Whiskerd helps Basildon's Edith Cavell ward after transplant at Addenbrookes

A FORMER alcoholic from Thurrock who was just days away from death has turned his life around thanks to a liver transplant.

Now Wayne Whiskerd has turned into a major fundraiser for the ward at Basildon Hospital where he found a new lease of life.

Mr Whiskerd, 51, was an alcoholic when he suffered a complete liver collapse. After spending a year in and out of Edith Cavell Ward at Basildon Hospital he became very close to staff and credits them with saving his life.

In February this year, he went to Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge for a liver transplant. When he came round surgery doctors told him he had been just two weeks away from death.

Just 11-weeks later, with a new lease of life, he has completed a seven mile bike ride to raise cash for Edith Cavell. With various other activities including quiz nights and a donation from the Mardyke Valley Rotary Club, Mr Whiskerd has managed to raise £2,350.

He said: “It sounds dramatic but I’m still alive because of the staff on Edith Cavell ward. I was in and out of consciousness but I believe they saved my life at least six times.

"I’m indebited to them for the loving care they gave me – it was absolutely phenomenal to me. They are very special, so whatever fundraising I can do to make their jobs easier and life more comfortable for other patients, I will do.”

Now Mr Whiskerd, who lives in Grays, is planning an epic 70-mile bike ride from Basildon University Hospital to Addenbrookes Hospital. He is aiming to raise £10,000 to split between the two.

He said: “I’ll be doing the bike ride in June next year and I’m in training for the World Transplant Games in Australia next summer.

"It’s unbelievable – eight months ago I couldn’t go from the bed to the toilet. Now I’m fit and healthy and it’s all thanks to the staff on Edith Cavell. They gave me the motivation to succeed.”

A decision hasn’t been made about what to do with the money, so Jo Henry, Ward Manager, has put a wish list up in the staff room, so staff can jot down any ideas they have.

She said: “Mr Whiskerd can only be described as a ward friend – he seems to know everyone! He has made such a fantastic effort to raise this money and it is greatly appreciated.

“He has gone above and beyond, just to say thank you. Although we haven’t decided what we are going to do with the money yet, we want to spend it on something to improve patient care, improve the patient’s experience and improve the working environment for staff.”

Thurrock Website

No comments:

Post a Comment